Thursday, July 23, 2015

Flashback to why Strawberry Seeds

Originally I started this blog as a way to deal with our struggle as a family moving on from Julia's Leukemia treatment (twice) and other "stuff" that was thrown on our plates. It was therapeutic for me and I thoroughly enjoyed sharing with a very small audience (probably just myself) what was happening in our life at the time. I reached a point where we were "good". I had worked out a lot of issues, I thought, pertaining to having some kids with special issues and being a mom who loved them. On I moved to taking care of myself and I started Juicy Bitts. It involved my love for Juicing and a healthy lifestyle. I started posting here to save my friends from hearing about it adnauseum via Facebook. Once again time moved on and life happened. I left the blogosphere and didn't think much of it. Then came March 3rd, 2015 and I received a call from my daughter's school that she had what they thought was a seizure during class. That changed everything. To make a long story short, she was diagnosed with a brain tumor on April 30th. April 30th happened to be the 24th anniversary of my dad's passing from, yes, a brain tumor. The shit storm was stirred up again and we were placed back in battle mode after her being off treatment for six years. Our friends, family neighbors, complete strangers came together to form #JuliasArmy and we shared our progress on Facebook. Many people have contacted us and said they didn't have access to those posts. At first my response was (and I won't lie, still is) Oh well, that is where we chose to share so figure it out. It was not a problem I could handle at the time. perspective is everything and it can change the battle. I stumbled across this old post from 2009, however, and remembered how a positive outlook can make even the dreaded and hated a bit more bearable. So here I am once again and will celebrate everything and be frank and honest about where I am with my family, especially my daughter, and hopefully those who couldn't follow before, will now. Peace, K
Friday, April 24, 2009 Goat Crud or Strawberry Seeds I was having a bad day yesterday and was working a usual 12 hour shift ... one thing was not related to the other ~ I love my friends at work and know that miracles are around me all the time when I am there! Regardless, I was just plain nasty! Anyway, Greg called to let me know about his field trip to the farm. I have to start with telling you that he was in no way excited about this excursion. Each time it would come up and I would ask him, "Are you getting excited?" "What do you think you will see?" "I wonder what you will do..." his answer was always the same. "I do not wanna smell goat crud!" "I am NOT excited about seeing goat crud!" Do you know how disgusting goat crud is?" Ummmm ... no I don't and I'm not really sure how he would either. Of all farm animals to mention, goats wouldn't be on the forefront of my brain and Crud is not a word we really use around here. He did tell me he used that instead of the really bad "C" word though.... that would be Crap for those of you with minds in the gutter! Welcome to life with Gregory. So he gets on the phone and I hold my breath after asking him how his day was ... Greg: Great!!! Me: Really? What did you do at the farm? Greg: It was great! Do you know that Strawberries whiten your teeth?! Me: No, I never heard that. Greg: Yup, so I will eat strawberries and never go to the dentist again. Me: Yea, no. It doesn't work that way honey. Still gotta go to the dentist. Sorry. Greg: oh. Well we saw some tomato plants that were nicer than yours. Me: Great. Okay, I gotta get back to work Greg... Greg: Wait ... One more fact: Did you know there are over 200 seeds in a strawberry? Me: Wow! Cool! Greg: Yup! And I saw a cow, a mouse and a chinchilla too ... (I have NO idea what the heck kind of farm this is!) Me: (with great relief) So no goats, huh? Greg: Oh there were goats alright. Me: Oh. Greg: And their crud stunk! Told ya so! Thanks Greg! But I'm glad he had a great time and was able to look past The Goat Crud. I am heading out now to work and then go out in the North Carolina weather of blue skies and 85 non-humid degrees. I am still in a not-so-great mood, but I will look past the Goat Crud and count the strawberry seeds. How corny is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment